The approach of the holidays brings great joy to many but it often deepens troubles for people with an addiction or who are in early recovery. The staff of Unity Place of Monmouth Partial understand this challenge all too well. In response, they have prepared a message of “Twelve Days of Recovery,” designed to remind clients of where to turn and what to keep in mind at this time of year.
The 12 Days of Recovery include:
· Go to meetings – I know where they are
· Have an exit strategy if you find yourself in a place causing stress
· Rely on sober supports
· Remember that this too will pass and that life goes on after the holidays
· Be aware of your emotions and triggers
· Choose events you plan to attend wisely
· When going to an event/party, bring the safe beverage of your choosing
The 12 Days of Recovery closes with the reminder of the many ways to celebrate that do not include alcohol or other drug use. These other forms of sober, safe celebrating include dancing, mingling, and having fun with friends and family.
Some resources in Monmouth County include resources provided by the County Division of Human Services:
A list compiled by Monmouth University: